Saturday 27 October 2012

Tournament Results

Ended up taking 2nd place overall, of about two dozen players.  Played Four games.

Game 1:
My opponent for the first game brought a true horde army: Chaos cultists allied with orks.  Among the more interesting bits of the list were abaddon and two maulerfiends.  We got Vanguard Strike and the emperor's will, on a terrain heavy board. Has some abominable rolling for my shooting for the first two turns, and he got most of the way across the table.  Top of turn three, my three suit units deepstrike and hit right where they need to, and some unholy good luck sees his army ripped to shreds.  Abaddon was killed trying to death or glory my hammerhead when it, with only one burst cannon left, tank shocked his unit.  The best moment was when one cultist unit charged my broadsides, and the aspiring champion issued a challenge.  I accepted with my broadside team leader because I believed in him, and he lost.  The cultist rolled on the boon tabled and became a prince.  He then challenged again and I accepted with my librarian, who he also killed.  He rolled and got D3+1 more rolls, of course getting four.  He gained THREE additional wounds and 1T.  Thank goodness the game ended there, with firewarriors on my objective and nothing on his.

Game 2:
Faced a necron army with two flyers, Zahndrekh and a whole lotta mech.  We rolled dawn of war and Emperor's Will for mission and deployment.  He got first turn, but I stole the initiative.  I had my stealthsuits, tank and scouts deployed way up the field, and moved them further up, hoping to keep him away from my heavy, long ranged fire support in the backfield.  For the first few turns, I was sweeping through his weak backfield, and then his flyers came on.  They wrecked the broadsides and firewarriors, so we had basically swapped ends of the field and started to head back towards our own ends.  His flyers deployed their troops, and I wrecked most of them, eventually whittling one squad of warriors to 2 men and the other to three.  My suits choose now to come in, and shoot down one flyer and the squad beneath it.  The stealthsuits destroy the other flyer, which crashes and kills the warriors beneath it, meaning he was tabled.

Game 3:
Faced a Chaos Space Marine/Daemon alliance, epidemius and plague marines.  Wasn't the most exciting game, we rolled Dawn of War and crusade.  3 objectives, one in each deployment zone and one in the middle.  I held mine, and advanced a firewarrior squad up to the central one, with my stealthsuits in his deployment zone harrassing him and soaking up a silly amount of firepower with their 2+ cover save. They were the only unit slain to a man on either side this game, almost nothing died.  I still got first blood for fusion blasting a rhino though!

Game 4:
The final round, I faced a Blood Angels/Space wolves allied list.  Hammer and Anvil, Purge the Alien.  Runepriest with grey hunters drop podded into my deployment zone, Mephiston and death company were the blood angels contingent.  They killed all three squads of firewarriors in the first two turns, and thunderhammered my poor hammerhead to death (after it claimed half the GH squad that podded in).  My Warlord and the fireknives I attached him to scattered onto mephiston (he was alone too, hard to hit a lone 25mm base) and mishaped to death.  The other unit dropped nearby, and by this point I REALLY wanted mephiston dead, so I fired them at him.  The burst cannon shots ALL missed, except one which managed to wound and also beat his armour, imagine that.  The plasma shot all hit, and NONE OF THEM WOUNDED.  Next round, mephiston charged and they actually killed him with overwatch.  Then death company with 3x thunderhammers happened.


All in all, it wasn't the hardest tournament I've ever played, but it was certainly fun.  Especially killing Mephiston, and watching Bruce the Cultist (he earned a name today) become an unstoppable force of nature.  The dice gods favoured me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment